Thursday, June 7, 2007

West Minster Abbey, National Gallery, V&A


Why hello. So its Day 2 in London and still running strong. After a night of heavy sleep I woke up still feeling like my brain was made of cement but off again for a long and eventful day. We first went to Westminster Abbey, beautiful church where many famous and royal people are buried. Kinda weird cause your walking over tombs constantly. After that we continued on to The National Portrait Gallery and saw paintings by Cezanne, Toulouse Lautrec, Van Gough, Renoir and other ones I can't remember..i knew i'd forget but oh well. Lots of good artwork. Lunch followed with a 2pm rendezvous at the tkts where we then went to the V&A museum. Lots of cool stuff there like plaster copies of sculptures like David and The Moses and the Baptistry Doors at the Florence Cathedral..which i'll have pictures of in a few weeks! It was all really amazing. There was a lot more I could have seen but sooo much to do it so little time. We got our first assignments today and had to begin our sketches. Hopefully my skills will get better..hehe. They should right? After wandering around the core of London some more some of us found a sweet sushi bar that was reasonably priced..for here at least. I have now almost mastered the Tube and actually feel quite at home in London. I love the big cities and how things run is quite similar to Sydney. Obviously a lot of difference too but lots of fun. I'm taking it all in and loving every second. We're trying to work out internet issues so my blog will get more consistant and I'm sorry for the lack of photos so far. Check yesterdays again for some photos and I'll add today's a little later. Keep the comments, emails or
whatever else coming! Love, Kaari
Pic 1 Westminister Abbey
Pic 2 The inner court yard of Westminster Abbey
Pic 3 Me in a phone booth
Pic 4 Lion at Trafalgar Square.
ps. my camera died so I didn't take as many pics..sorry!

3 comments:

frank said...

Am I to be acquainted with a "TUBE MASTER" It appears that tubes are making a comeback what with 'U Tube' and Tube Tops, Tube Socks, maybe we could break into the market with 'Tele Tubeys' for the holidays.

I like the pictures and was intriqued by the one at Fontainebleau with the autumn leaves, pretty good trick. I am resigned to be a DALI follower.

Lots of walking around it appears, fun to see your pictures and read the blog.

marjar said...

Well hello Kaari! London's calling me, yet I wake up every morning and find I am still in Chicago. Don't get me wrong, I love Chicago...but a little trippy to London would not be unwelcome. So, have you calculated your carbon footprint yet? I hear it's all the rage in London. Finally, something good for the world has become a trend. Ask me more if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Sounds like you're having fun so far. Dali is very cool. The school I work for has a weird, but well-educated art teacher who made a canvas painting for the board near the nurse's office a-la Dali. We're the Little Fort Dolphins, so it's an image of a dolphin with a "broken" tail being held up by crutches (a signature Dali feature as you probably know) and some other abstract stuff. I thought it was really cool.

Maria and I saw a Toulouse Lautrec (don't forget the "u" in his name!) exhibit here in Chicago at the Art Institute. His prints are really cool. I think print making is neat-o. It would have been great to be in Paris, living in or near Monmartre in the time of Lautrec. Did you know that was the first place I went when I was in Paris? Monmartre. I'm sure you'll go. It's artsy.

This is a very long comment. Perhaps I will email you. I like Frank, whomever he is, and his witty "Tele Tubeys" idea. I'd spell it Tubies, but then I'm me.

Enjoy Europe for Maria and me. We'll enjoy Chicago for you!

xoxo Marja

Unknown said...

I love flying buttresses! Very good shot of some great ones. The phone booth is a classic shot. You can have it blown up in a poster.
I am not sure what "my camera died" means exactly. Hopefully, it means I didn't have an extra battery that wasn't flat.
Frank