Monday, June 11, 2007

Hampton Court, Sir John Sloane, British Museum


Dear Blogger readers everywhere,
Sorry this has taken me so long. Obviously its not quite Friday the 8th but I am now ready to blog about it.
Our first journey began on the tube as usual, we took off from our hotel and took the tube to the closest rail station to connect to a train to get us to Hampton Court the once apon a time residence of Henry VIII. Beautiful grounds and just such amazing detail. It was originally built in the Tudor Style but when some other royals lived there (sorry I forgot who. Mary II or something) they reconstructed it and made some of it Baroque style (also very beautiful). Only problem was that they ran out of funds and the Queen died so the King at the time just stopped. It makes it unique because you can see both styles juxtaposed next to eachother. There were also beautiful grounds and this vineyard thing that was started so long ago that the original vine is the oldest ever! Isn't that crazy! There was so much to see but we had other things to do!
The next adventure was back in the city at a place called Sir John Sloane's Museum. He was some architect who collected all these plaster casts and all these statues from museums and what not but there was sooooo many little artifacts and stone things PACKED into one little house that he didn't want to turn over to his rebellious children. I couldn't even believe how much stuff was in this house. IT WAS AMAZING!
Third and final activity for the day was the British Museum which was like a bigger version of John Sloanes Museum. haha. Obviously it was a bigger deal though. I met Glen and Kyall there and we wandered and laughed and caused all sorts of trouble around the museum.. Its actually a huge..and i mean HUGE! facility that has sooooo much stuff. It was hard to do it at the end of the day because I was so tired already so I did some serious artifact browsing and took some pics but it was fun to see stuff that I've learned about.
That night me, Glen and Kyall ate at Garfunkels or some place and I had some lasagna and a chocolate milkshake (for my fam..it was very aussiesque i hope you understand but truthfully i like it better) after that we wandered around and went back to trafalgar square for some night pics and then down to westminster bridge maybe?? and then past the aquarium and london eye down back to jubilee bridge. Then home! Sleep and ready for a weekend of fun....
To be continued...

Pic 1 Hampton Court with a sign of Henry VIII
Pic 2 The Gardens my Wedding will be at.. haha jk..but those are the Hampton Court Gardens
Pic 3 The Oldest Vine
Pic 4 Me, Winnie, Miriam, Cassie at the British Museum
Pic 5 Me and the Rosetta Stone.. I look so happy.

1 comment:

frank said...

I really think that the glass ceiling/roof of the British Museum is something, reminds me of some others. The designers were very cool thinkers. I think that the result from the inside out is very very nice. If done spectacularly it is as nice from the outside in, but it should always be the best view and alluring from the inside out.